Monday, August 23, 2010

So Long Sweet Summer

I LOVE summer. I can't even tell you how much I love it, I love it so much. I look forward to it all year. It makes me happy. I think I'm just a better person between the months of May and September because it's warm and pleasant outside. Summer and I get along well (no, I will not be naming any of my children Summer, I don't know how I feel about naming children after seasons). I don't mind running errands or driving around or leaving the house or going back to the house because I forgot something - which happens a lot - I just love doing whatever I have to do because it's summer outside! However, with the last week of summer approaching and school starting on Tuesday, I'm realizing that summer is almost over. There was a moment last week when I realized that my last summer of "I'm going back to school in the Fall" is almost over! From here on out I will be part of the "real world", I will have a "real job" and summer vacation no longer lasts 4 months. It made me sad to think that it has passed so quickly, but at the same time, it's been a great summer. I went to Tonga, I was able to spend time at home, and I enjoyed the time away from school. Thinking back, some of my favorite things about summer have been (and still are):
  • Sunshine
  • Laying out
  • No school
  • Strawberries
  • Swimming
  • Sleeping on the trampoline
  • Playing 4-square in the driveway
  • Watermelon
  • Swimming
  • Snow cones, Real games, cheap tacos, the Pie, and the weird gas station in Salt Lake (thank you Jon)
  • Warm nights
  • Not scraping snow off my windows
  • Getting into a hot car (I like that first couple of seconds when you realize that it's so hot outside that the inside of your car is hot - another reminder that it's not winter - maybe it's weird, but I like it)
  • Boating
  • Staying up late and being ok if you wake up a little late too
  • Swimming
  • S'mores
  • Weddings and wedding invites
  • Barbecues
  • Summer rain storms
  • Lake Powell
  • Family vacations (NOT including the road to Hana - I have another name for this drive)
  • Basically, doing anything during the summer is better than doing the same thing in the winter simply because of the fact that it's SUMMER!
My little sisters and their friends summed up for me what summer is all about, especially during high school, I hope they don't mind me sharing this and I hope you enjoy! Oh, and thanks Rose, Kelley, Taylor, and Madeline, it's fun having you guys around and I sure will miss you!! Good luck at the U, Rose, you're going to do great!!

"First Half of Summer"

4 comments:

  1. Do you know you mentioned "swimming" three times? haha I love it. Im going to miss summer too, but now I get to see you more (So that is a plus right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't come to SF if you want a summer, it is cooooooold :/ BUT you have a great memory! Walkman, will always be classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! I was mentioned first! Summer was great and i'm going to miss our sunday night chat sessions. but there is always next summer and school breaks this fall!
    By the way.. I made an account just so I could comment on this and others to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin, YES! I get to see you way more often now, I can't wait! And I love swimming, I just had to include it a few times :)

    Laura, I hope it warms up! And I'm glad you remember the walkman, I would have felt like a total creeper.

    Thanks Rose!!! I'm so glad!!! And we known each other for basically the entirety of your life so I have no doubt I will see you around. Lunch for sure!!! Keep me posted!!!

    ReplyDelete