Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Case of the Quesadilla



I worked 6 of the last 8 days. SIX! That's a lot! Especially when they are 12 hour days. Anyways, yesterday, my last of these past few busy days, was really really busy. I was so excited when I transferred my second patient to the floor at 4:15 and I finally got to eat lunch. Because I woke up late (ah! I hate this!! Definitely a New Year's Resolution will be to be early for work-ok, at least on time), I didn't have time to pack a lunch, but I did remember cash (which I usually forget whenever I need it). I had been thinking about a turkey wrap on the yummy spinach tortilla thing all day and when I arrived in the cafeteria I was sorely disappointed. They were closed. At 4:00. It's a Sunday. So I just stood there, I don't know what else to get. I always get the turkey wrap or the Mexican food on Fridays. Then the little Asian woman walked over to the counter where they make the delicious wraps, I totally thought I had a chance. I asked her if there was any chance she wouldn't mind making one more (nothing was cleaned up, everything was out and ready), she said "no, we are close, I go home". Seriously, that's what she said. So I asked again nicely, "so you can't make just one more?" - let's be honest, I'm starving, it's late, and all I want is a turkey wrap, I would make it myself if they just let me behind that little counter. She responds "I say no, I go home." I almost started laughing, but I thought that might be rude, not like she was being very Christmas spirit-y, but I didn't. I turned around wandered around the cafeteria about four more times, and decided on a quesadilla. After I made my decision, to my chagrin, the same Asian woman was now behind the grill counter! Didn't she have to go home? Anyways, I ordered a quesadilla, the cheese was all melty just how I like it, and I grabbed a little pico (I love pico). I was over the turkey wrap, they will be back on Monday. I said "thank you!" she said "mmhmm, you  like extra sassa?" [I'll translate, sassa = salsa] What?? Now she is being nice?? I said "yes please, thanks! Have a Merry Christmas!" to which she said "mmhmm". I was so confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment