Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

So . . . about Valentines Day. I have mixed feelings.

There are so many people who have negative feelings about it (and strong ones at that)
and feel bitter and cynical; they are, of course, the single ones. You know who I'm talking about, the ones who refer to it as "Single Awareness Day" and buy themselves chocolate, close the blinds, and watch sappy movies all day (or their own personal version of this pity party). I understand this to an extent, sometimes being single isn't really a situation by choice, it's not always fun, and in Provo, Utah it's not "socially acceptable". Everyone is always asking if you're dating someone, if you're interested in someone, if you want to be set up, etc. There is an emphasis on your lack of a significant other and how you should probably be getting one. So on a holiday dedicated to celebrating the other person in your life, you don't really get to celebrate and it could feel like you've missed the bus.

However, I've tried to have a positive attitude, regardless of my dating situation. I've never had a "Valentine" per say, but it's ok, I'll have one someday! (wow, that rhymed) I try to think of it like Hanukkah, it's just a holiday I don't celebr
ate, but it's ok if other people do. (However, unlike Valentine's Day, I probably won't become a Jew to celebrate, but hey-it's not a bad analogy, right dad?) Some of my friends were talking about how pointless it is to have this holiday and when they are married, their husbands shouldn't need a holiday to tell them how much they love them. Ok, valid-ish point. But not really. I don't know what marriage is like and I don't pretend to, but from what I understand, it's a two-way street. If the hubby is expected to treat everyday like Valentine's Day, doesn't that mean the wife-y is too? That seems like an awful lot of effort. The cards, the treats, the special little favors-it's a lot! I think it's nice that we have a holiday dedicated only to love. And everyday doesn't have to be Valentine's Day, but it's the little things we do that show the people around us we love them. It's unloading the dishwasher, making the bed, keeping them in your prayers and knowing their concerns, a phone call, cutting out a newspaper article because you know they would like it, it's those things that we should be doing everyday to show love, not an extravagant holiday bursting with pink, red, and little naked men with bows and arrows. Anyways, back to the point, I think Valentine's Day is a really good idea. There is a really positive message behind the holiday-love. What better thing to celebrate? It's what keeps people happy, keeps families together, something we say at the end of a phone call or when we're walking out the door, it's what we want someone to remember if there is a chance we don't see them again, the reason we work on relationships even when we've been wronged or hurt before, why we forgive, why the Savior sacrificed His life, it's a completely perfect thing to celebrate! According to C.S. Lewis . . .

"Charity means 'Love, in the Christian sense'. But love, in the Christian sense, does not mean an emotion. It is a state not of the feelings but of the will; that state of the will which we have naturally about ourselves, and must learn to have about other people ."

Loving someone isn't about whether or not you like them. It's about wanting good for them, hoping the best for them, and looking out for them. He's saying that if you detach the emotion from the word "love", you're still left with the actions that communicate it. You treat them with respect, you only say good things about them, when there is a miscommunication you apologize, you keep their secrets, you trust them-all these things are communicated by one little word, love. So I think it's ok to have one day a year when we celebrate this, when we are r
eminded of why we love them and we show them, and the rest of the world sometimes, that we love them.

I think that's a really good reason to celebrate, even if it does make people lovey dovey and cause some to dress in clashing colors. Besides, it makes a lot more sense than a few other holidays we celebrate-St. Patrick's Day? I have no idea what pinching people and making green pancakes is all about, but whatever. And Halloween? Don't get me started on Halloween.

2 comments:

  1. I am gonna get you started on Halloween. It's pretty much the coolest holiday in the world... short of Christmas. Boojah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween? Are you kidding me? It's completely pointless! There is no social, cultural, political, or religious basis for this ridiculous holiday (except in Mexico, but we're not from Mexico, do not celebrate Mexican holidays, and currently live in and support the land of the free and home of the brave so I'm not sure exactly why it's important to include Mexican holidays on the American calendar). Also, the way we celebrate it has nothing to do with the actual holiday itself. You dress up (it doesn't matter how you dress, it just matters that you don't dress like you usually do for a few hours at night - you can even dress like someone else you know, it just has to be different than your everyday clothing) and you walk around to strangers houses asking for candy by saying "trick or treat". Technically this is a question, would you like to trick me? or treat me? And they have the answer already prepared in the form of a small piece of candy, most of which I don't like. What does candy have to do with this holiday? Nothing. Then you get home, after wearing your weird outfit, usually covered by a winter coat because it's so cold, and sit on the floor and spread your bounty in front of you. What do you end up with? A whole bunch of sugar you don't really need, ruins your teeth, and could possibly be tainted by the candy-giver-outers (it's a possibility and has happened before, I'm not too concerned, but it's definitely possible). Besides, I don't actually like candy, anything gummy, chewy, sour, stretchy, shaped like an orange peanut, or needs to be sucked = gross. I only like some chocolate candies, which are few and far between. So after I have celebrated a holiday that means nothing to me and has no importance or significance, worn a really uncomfortable outfit that usually itches and needs to be constantly adjusted and kept from getting stepped on or ruined by other passing children, and become a human popsicle from the cold that I've been walking around in for hours to get something I don't even want, I VOW to never celebrate it again. Happens every year. And carving pumpkins? A great date activity and they look cool with the candle inside, but really, they are kinda dumb. I don't usually carve spaghetti squash and set them outside my house for Mother's Day, but who knows? She might appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete