Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Halloween

In response to my Valentine's Day post, which included something about why I think Halloween is ridiculous, I have a response to a comment . . .

I am gonna get you started on Halloween. It's pretty much the coolest holiday in the world... short of Christmas. Boojah.

Well, you asked for it! Here goes!

Halloween? Are you kidding me? It's completely pointless! There is no social, cultural, political, or religious basis for this ridiculous holiday (except in Mexico, but we're not from Mexico, do not celebrate Mexican holidays, and currently live in and support the land of the free and home of the brave so I'm not sure exactly why it's important to include Mexican holidays on the American calendar). Also, the way we celebrate it has nothing to do with the actual holiday itself. You dress up (it doesn't matter how you dress, it just matters that you don't dress like you usually do for a few hours at night - you can even dress like someone else you know, it just has to be different than your everyday clothing) and you walk around to strangers houses asking for candy by saying "trick or treat". Technically this is a question, would you like to trick me? or treat me? And they have the answer already prepared in the form of a small piece of candy, most of which I don't like. What does candy have to do with this holiday? Nothing. Then you get home, after wearing your weird outfit, usually covered by a winter coat because it's so cold, and sit on the floor and spread your bounty in front of you. What do you end up with? A whole bunch of sugar you don't really need, ruins your teeth, and could possibly be tainted by the candy-giver-outers (it's a possibility and has happened before, I'm not too concerned, but it's definitely possible). Besides, I don't actually like candy, anything gummy, chewy, sour, stretchy, shaped like an orange peanut, or needs to be sucked = gross. I only like some chocolate candies, which are few and far between. So after I have celebrated a holiday that means nothing to me and has no importance or significance, worn a really uncomfortable outfit that usually itches and needs to be constantly adjusted and kept from getting stepped on or ruined by other passing children, and become a human popsicle from the cold that I've been walking around in for hours to get something I don't even want, I VOW to never celebrate it again. Happens every year. And carving pumpkins? A great date activity and they look cool with the candle inside, but really, they are kinda dumb. I don't usually carve spaghetti squash and set them outside my house for Mother's Day, but who knows? She might appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a personal problem. Fallacies, fallacies, fallacies. There are some who look at the glass half full... and others half empty. Your basis for your argument is full of loopholes. When you can prove that Santa Claus was part of the original Christmas, then I'll take back what I said about Halloween. Who cares how it started? May all the evil spirits of Halloween haunt you through the night... oh.. and by the way... just for the record... I hate candy... Boo yah. With an extra BOO.

    ReplyDelete