Friday, July 9, 2010

The Newspaper


I don't enjoy reading the newspaper. The pages make your fingers black and they feel weird, most of it is full of things I don't need to know, the obituaries are no fun, and no, I don't need a refrigerator. Basically, I usually have no clue about what is going on in the world, and I'm ok with it! During school I have enough to worry about and Provo is a bubble anyways, besides who wants to read after staring at textbooks all day? Not I. When I go to the gym in the mornings it's too early for the Today Show (I love the Today Show), so I think I have watched most of all of the episodes of "Saved By the Bell", and there is no way I'm going to watch CNN.

However, yesterday I was eating breakfast and my mom had the newspaper opened to the back side of some section and the front page of the sports section (both of which I would usually disregard completely), but there was an opinion column about the Jake and Vienna spat from The Bachelor on Monday night, which of course I watched. I read the entire column and thought "ya, you're totally right! That's exactly what I thought!" and had a bit of a connection with the world and this particular author and the newspaper-pretty cool! Then I thought "I might actually like reading other columns like this" and to my right was the column on the whole "where is everyone going in the NBA?" thing. That writer also had some very insightful points (I think now I know why these people get paid to write and why people read it). The best part came at work when people were actually talking about the things I had read - and I actually knew a little bit about what they were saying!! I know, it sounds ridiculous but I thought it was great. Remember when Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped? I had no idea she was even gone until the day they found her and everyone was making such a big deal and I had noooo idea what was going on. When I asked my mom she looked at me like I had been in a hole for the last year, which, I basically had been.


This morning on the Today Show, Good Morning America, and the Early Show, they were talking about all the things I had read about. And to think, I only spent about 10 minutes reading while I was eating breakfast, and now I'm part of the world! This just might have to happen again . . .

P.S. LeBron James is going to play for the Miami Heat - on Good Morning America this morning he said he picked it because it "felt right", good answer.

3 comments:

  1. Erin!
    I have loved reading your blog! You are absolutely adorable slash hilarious. I can't believe all the neat experiences you are having and that you are almost a nurse! Funny thing. I just met Aubrey, your nursing friend, at Primary Children's. She is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you going to start reading the paper now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cami!! You are the best, I haven't seen you in forever! We need to do lunch!!

    And yes Em, I've taken to at least looking at it and reading an article if the title looks interesting. This is quite a big step for me and I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete