Thursday, April 14, 2011

Keeping you posted


Life has been a little busy lately and I haven't posted as much as I would have liked to, but updates will be coming!


First, and most exciting - I passed the NCLEX!!! It was not fun, it was hard, and I vow to never do it again. It was really fun writing, "Erin Zundel RN, BS" for the first time (it means I have taken my nursing state boards and am licensed, but I have also received my Bachelors of Science, which is different from a BSN but most people don't know that). I still like being called "Nurse Erin" if the desire overcomes you and you would like to formally address me. I participated in the graduation ceremony in August - which was great, but felt kinda weird considering I didn't actually graduate until December, but even then, it didn't feel over until I took that test. Now I feel like a college graduate and I'm loving it!! (This is the first time since I was 4-years-old that I haven't had homework!!!)


[Note: top picture is my nursing class - I love these girls, we made it through 3 years of nursing school together and had a lot of fun doing it. I miss you all and can't wait to hear what exciting things you will be doing! This picture was taken after our final "Closing Social" event. It was a really fun night. I'm laughing so hard, however, because Melissa's husband was trying to take a picture - along with all of the other husbands, moms, and attendees - and if you know Melissa you know that her anecdotes are hilarious, and she was trying to help him be a little more assertive. We were laughing so hard!! The bottom picture is of graduation in August! Such a good feeling!! Thank you cute sisters for taking a picture with me!]


After all the papers, tuition, and late nights, I have learned a few things along the way . . .


-It's not always about homework and getting the best score in the class. Sometimes it is. But sometimes it's not. Balance is a hard thing in college, and especially in nursing school, but sometimes you have to set aside the competition and just worry about doing your very best.


-There are good nurses and bad nurses. Learn from the good ones.


-Hands can be washed. It's ok to get them dirty sometimes.


-Listen to your mom. (I will not repeat this)


-Go to bed early. (This kinda goes with the previous point)


-Sometimes going to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and then trying to make it to class the next day is an appropriate choice.


-You don't have to wash your hair everyday.


-Always volunteer - this includes raising your hand and doing things you don't think you are comfortable doing.


-Find good friends and learn from them. They are not easy to find and most of them get married, I'm really grateful for my current roommates, they are great friends and it's lucky for me they are still single.


-Be grateful. No matter how hard things have been or how overwhelming challenges can feel, being grateful can truly make a difference. Thanks mom and dad for all you have done and continue to do for me. I would be nowhere without you and I am grateful for your constant love, encouragement, and support. Thank you. I love you!


Second - I have completed my term as Director (West) on the National Student Nurses' Association Board of Directors. It has been an amazing opportunity and I have had a great year. I loved the people I got to know and work with and hope to know them for a very long time. (And a special shout out to my roommate Reneka - who made me feel welcome and invited, put up with my alarm clock, and whom I love and adore, what can I say, she's the best!). I also got to pass my position on to a fellow BYU student! Jaclyn Coleman is now Director West and will do an amazing job. It was really fun being able to pin her at the last meeting where I handed over my position. I know she will take good care of things.


Third - and ya, actually this is probably the most important - Happy Birthday to ME!! I love love love birthdays (especially my own) and I celebrated my 24th on April 12th! Fun fact about Erin - she has 3 sisters, 2 of which are also born in April, also, there are 4 girls who live down the street, 3 of which have April birthdays! I think this is a fun, unique coincidence and I love that we all have April birthdays (because really, April birthdays are the best!) I also have 3 cousins with an April 12th birthday - again, another affirmation that it truly is the best day of the year.


Well, I'm sure you all have missed me, and now that I am no longer a student, have passed the NCLEX, and don't have too much to do, I can blog! Lucky you :)

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I'm so excited to start reading your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! I'm in my 2nd semester of nursing school right now and I feel like I just found treasure (randomly found this blog) as I see you went through nursing school a while back now. I just had to comment because I was so surprised we have the same birthday! It also looks like you're a sister in Christ :) Anyway, your blog is really refreshing to read as nursing school is pretty tough and I find it hard to see myself actually becoming one as of now :)

    ReplyDelete